Do you want a perfect smile? Straight teeth can make a significant difference in your smile and also boost your confidence. It has been found out that almost one million people decide to get braces each year. Braces are not for only those people who need help with tooth alignment. It can also be due to the work you did on your teeth in your younger years and now your teeth need dental appliances once again.
Children and teens do not need to wear braces for so long. Adults usually need 18-36 months with them to achieve the proper alignment they want. For a perfect smile you must visit the best dental doctor near you. Traditional braces are made of standard metal brackets that are placed on your teeth by adhesive and connected by wire. It is the most common available option. However, some other options are also available and you can also customize them to fit your style. Here are some pros and cons of traditional braces by some certified dental doctors:
Table of Contents
Pros of Traditional Braces
- When we think about orthodontic treatment, the thing that comes to our mind is traditional braces. Most dentists offer traditional braces as a treatment for your teeth. It means if you visit any orthodontist, he will offer you the treatment of your teeth with traditional braces which are more durable than aligners.
- Invisalign treatment introduced 19 years ago is not the only treatment that dentists offer. If you have serious alignment issues, dental surgeons recommend experts in-office options, which include: Invisalign, ClearCorrect, SureSmile, Six Month Smiles etc. Some of these options may be cheaper than Invisalign.
- Aligners are not considered more accurate than traditional braces. Traditional braces have more positive outcomes than aligners in straightening crooked teeth.
- Compared to traditional braces, aligners are more expensive and most people can’t afford expensive treatments.
- Traditional braces are fixed and cannot move at the discretion of the user but can only be removed by an orthodontist at the end of the treatment. It makes treatment faster and also completes it in the expected time.
- Braces do not get contaminated because of their fixed placement. But taking care of your oral hygiene is very important. You can keep your braces clean by using a soft toothbrush. Braces wires catch food debris and brushing frequently will help prevent plaque. It is suggested to use a wet toothbrush with less toothpaste. Brush at least for two minutes. You can also use a mouthwash.
- People with traditional braces should visit their orthodontist monthly and make sure that their braces are fixed and tightened. Regular check-ups can make your treatment successful.
- Traditional braces are more comfortable.
- It is considered to be the best method of teeth straightening for children.
- For critical teeth conditions, traditional braces are considered to be preferable for orthodontic treatment.
- As we know that mostly orthodontic treatments are expensive. However, traditional braces are more affordable than aligners. It is not easy for everyone to afford expensive treatments.
Cons Of Traditional Braces
- As we know appearance is very important but choosing regular braces make your appearance less than ideal. These braces are placed on each tooth and are visible. Many people become very conscious.
- Another pain associated with traditional braces is that you have to cut off numerous foods and beverages. It is very important to take care because some foods and beverages can increase the risk of cavities. Avoid every type of sweets and candies because they can stick into your teeth and can harm your braces. Lastly, you also have to avoid any hard snacks that can break small parts of braces.
- As compared to Invisalign, metal braces are more painful and inconvenient for adults. They need regular adjustments. Dentists use sharp tools for tightening that can even cut or injure your mouth.
- Metal braces cover your teeth and it becomes difficult to take care of your oral hygiene. It requires patients to be diligent with brushing, flossing and rinsing. However, it is easy to clean Invisalign as compared to traditional braces.
- You cannot remove traditional braces at any time you want as compared to Invisalign.
- You have to visit your doctor at least once a month with traditional braces. This thing would be difficult for people with tough schedules.
After going through all the pros and cons we came to know traditional braces are good in one way but everything has two aspects. Follow the advice of your dentist. Don’t forget to clean your teeth properly and take care of your oral hygiene. Visit your doctor monthly and make sure your braces are fixed and tightened. Cut off the foods and beverages because they can increase the risk of cavities and can ultimately affect your braces.